As a Prepper you must know the rules and laws regarding legal weapons in the UK. Defending what is rightly yours and ensuring all your efforts to prepare for a Dooms Day scenario ARE worth it – it naturally follows that you have to be prepared to defend your family, your home and your survival supplies.
When SHTF, the next thing to happen will be a country WROL – it’s inevitable for people to take the law into their own hands as looting increases as people become more desperate for food, water and any other supplies they can lay their hands on.
Quite how you decide to defend will be a very big decision to make.
Possibly the best legal weapon in your arsenal is you ability to KEEP QUIET and generally only tell other preppers who are in your prepping network – the more people who know you have good supplies of food and water, the bigger the risk to you and your family.
Legal Weapons in the UK and the laws regarding weapons are mighty strict
So much so that just about anything can be deemed as a dangerous, unlawful and offensive weapon in certain situations.
Those situations are primarily, if you are carrying the weapon in a public place AND if you are caught carrying, what can be considered an offensive weapon, you’d better have a pretty dam good, convincing reason.
Otherwise – your nicked mate. – Along with CONFISCATION of the weapon and a huge fine, you risk an even bigger chance of imprisonment.
As an example - a prepper would only have a couple of GENUINE reason to be carnying around a razor sharp skinning knife, an axe or maybe a 8″ hunting knife – these are:
- Carrying it to a bug out location or bushcraft site or survival course
- Using it for bushcraft skills whilst out practising such skills
- Carrying it back home
- Taking it to or from a repair shop [eg. to be resharpened]
Other than the above reasons, as a prepper, I don’t see any other need for that weapon to leave the confines of your own home and be carried around anywhere in public – it makes plain simple sense really.
What constitutes an offensive weapon?
The laws in the United Kingdom are very strict on this and what the law books say about them can be found in the Prevention of Crime Act 1953. Section 1 (1)
this Act is a law that was passed in 1953 and is currently undergoing changes being made to this law.
Just about anything can be deemed an offensive weapon if you try!
However, the law says -
“Prohibition of the carrying of offensive weapons without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.”
- Any person who without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the proof whereof shall lie on him, has with him in any public place any offensive weapon shall be guilty of an offence.’
So, first rule of ensuring you comply with the offensive weapons laws in the UK is, whatever type of weapons you decide to add to your survival kit – DO NOT TAKE THEM OUTSIDE IN A PUBLIC PLACE. – Keep them at home and if you wish to practice with them it must be on your own land or land where you have complete permission from the land owner [maybe a farm and you are helping to keep a vermin problem down by shooting rats with your air gun.] If you do need to take any weapon in within a public place then think twice about your reasons and ensure they are genuine and legitimate.
* It is, however, legal to carry a non lockable folding pocket knife or multi purpose tool provided the blade is below 3″ long. BUT… you must still have a good, valid reason to be carrying it. Because there are some situations where a pocket knife [carried legally or not] would not be acceptable to have in your pocket.
It makes sense you would think twice about the implications of taking a pocket knife to a football match, regardless of the fact that a pocket knife is deemed as a legal weapon in the UK – it’s just common sense – “Oh, I’m sorry officer, I forgot it was in my pocket”, is not a valid reason – if that’s your proposed excuse, expect to get it taken away and probably you as well.!
Weapons are essential to us preppers, especially when practising our survival skills but make sure you do so responsibly and within the law.
The weapons below are legal UK weapons and weapons that
are you are ALLOWED TO OWN in the UK without needing any license or certificate
* this does not mean you can wander around anywhere in public with them*
Although anything can be made into a weapon this list is for generally accepted weapons that are legal to own without requiring a FAC [ firearms certificate ] or any other special permission.
Find out more about the various weapons you can own and use as a prepper – please use the links below, to our review pages -
- Machete or Bill Hook
- Pocket knife (UK legal)
- Fixed blade knife – any length blade - Survival knife Hunting knife skinning knife etc
- Survival Knife – Specifically designed for tactical, hunting and survival skills
- Multi function tool that includes a knife - Swiss Army Knife – Utility Tool Knife
- BB Gun – painted bright orange or blue for non UKARA members – not much use to a prepper
- BB Gun – authentic gun colour & style - for registered UKARA members only - not much use to a prepper
- Paintball Gun – any type, style, colour
- Paintball Hand Gun – any type, style, colour
- Air Rifle – below 12 ft lb [muzzle velocity or below]
- Air pistol – below 6 ft lb [muzzle velocity] - not much use to a prepper
- Martial arts – tried and tested weapons, increases fitness and personal fighting ability *highly recommended
- Pepper Spray – UK Legal Alternative - “must have” defensive prepper kit
If you want to know more about the UK Knife Laws that are in place in Britain today, then check out our article showing the exact things you need to know about knives –
- link: UK Knife Laws
If you are concerned about being stopped on suspicion of carrying a weapon there are also specific Stop and Search laws that you need to know -
- link: UK Stop and Search Laws
There are also many other firearms that you can legally own here in the UK – from a semi automatic rifle to a shotgun – they are all legal to own.
What must be obtained first, in order for you to own one legally, is a UK FireArms Certificate - see the UK Gun & FireArms Laws here.
|Legal weapons UK||- what weapons are legal here in the UK|
|Weapons for self defence UK||- legal to own weapons and more|
|How to choose the Best survival Knife||- what you need to know about survival knives|
|Best Survival Knife Guide UK||- comparison guide for choosing a survival knife|
|Best Folding Pocket knife Guide||- reviews and comparison guide|
|Survival Knife Reviews|
We hope this article has increased your knowledge of Legal Weapons UK - Please check out our other Knife Laws and UK Stop & Search Laws articles for some more information on this subject – happy prepping folks…..