UK Legal Pepper Spray for Self Defence | Video Review And Test

SPRAY + BELT POUCH

Current price under £14
Best price - Amazon

BEST BUY

Current price under £20
Best price - Amazon

When it comes to self defence and pepper spray, there are many question you can ask:

• Is pepper spray legal in the UK?
  • Is pepper spray a legal self defence weapon in the UK?
  • What is the pepper spray UK law?
  • Are you allowed to carry prepper spray in the UK?

This article will answer those questions and more:

UK laws regarding self defence are very strict, and for any normal member of the public this can be a problem – as a prepper it presents its own problems especially if SHTF.

uk legal pepper spray

The choice of weapons to defend yourself, your family and your preps is very limited and controlled by the strict UK laws governing offensive and dangerous weapons.

You cannot walk around with a 10″ machete strapped to your back, a handgun or any other weapon for that matter, even if you say it’s just for self defence.

In fact, actually saying you are carry something for 'self defence' is an offence in its own right, meaning you have have an intention of using it...!

SO WHAT CAN WE DO?

This Article Deals With Non Lethal Self Defence Weapons

Generally speaking, a weapon is a weapon, as simple as that, if you carry one then the intention implies that you would be prepared to use one – resulting in varying injury levels or even death.

So when it comes to the question of preparing and defending yourself, the choice of “weapon” is not so easy.

In the UK it is very much against the law to even hold and point a knife at some, would be looter, and even worse to actually use it.

Additionally, the crime rate in the UK remains a problem – theft, break-ins and mugging are still commonplace, especially in our cities.

So, when you add to that to the fact that we cannot legally carry a weapon to defend ourselves, we are constantly having to look for an alternative method of protection for ourselves, our children and the family.

Possibly the most effective, non lethal, weapon that would deter a would be looter is ‘the good old pepper spray‘ – the type the police and many other 'authorities' have with them.

unfortunately for us, the general public,
this is also classed as an offensive,
and therefor, an illegal weapon.

In fact 'real' pepper spray / mace spray is classed in the same category as a firearm here in the UK, and dealt with by the courts as such with serious consequences for anyone carrying it.
So, in normal 'peace time' it is a compete no no to own or carry it.

The UK law makers are genuinely between a rock and a hard place when it comes to weapons and the general public.
But surely we should have some rights when it comes to our own personal self defence...?
You simply cannot take everything away from the man or woman in the street.  But that's exactly what has happened folks..!
Of course, the criminals and law breakers don't abide to these laws now do they.! In a SHTF situation all these laws would go straight out the window anyway, but for now we are forced to abide by the laws, or face the consequences....

Is It Legal
To Carry Pepper Spray In The UK?

The law is very specific,
and is laid out in Section 5(1) (b) of the firearms act 1968.

This act prohibits any weapon of any description, designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other substance.

uk pepper spray legal

In a nutshell the law is saying that full on pepper spray, the type the UK police use [ as seen in this photo ] that contains a noxious gas is one of those items that is considered illegal to carry and illegal to use in the UK by civilians and preppers alike.

So what are the alternatives
to pepper spray for members of the public…?

The only LEGAL ALTERNATIVE that the public or UK preppers have at their disposal and is the equivalent to Pepper Spray in the UK for self defence is the:

Here's the specifications;

• Non Toxic & UK Legal
  • Can Be Carried By Any Adult
  • Discreet & Compact
  • Non Lethal Criminal Identifier
  • Contains No Harmfull Chemicals
  • 4 mtr Spray Range
  • Highly Effective - Giving Time To Escape
girl with can of legal pepper spray for the Uk

The Spray Container is very discreet and measures in at only 85 x 34 mm yet packs a punch that will stop a mugger in his tracks.

If sprayed at face level it will completely disorientated the attacker – with the natural instinct for him to back off – if sprayed at the eyes it also cause blurred vision, making an attack even more difficult.

With this sprayed into the eyes it is not possible to see what you are doing - wiping it off only makes it worse.

Having tested this on myself, I can assure you it was not possible to do anything other than try to protect myself and my face from the spray. (see video below)

UK legal pepper spray alternative video test picture

Also, the natural instinct is to try and wipe it off – this only makes thing worse.!

Can you imagine the panic factor you put into the attacker when he looks down at his blood red hands after you have sprayed him..!?

He will have no idea what has just happened and be more scared and ready to run off, than you !

pepper spray for the uk

This Farb Gel remains on the attackers skin and clothing for up to 7 days – making the police very aware if a potential attack has taken place.

Value for money, this is a ‘must have’ self defence method for preppers and everyone else, especially at the silly price of under £11 including VAT & delivery for the basic spray bottle.

BASIC SPRAY

Current price under £11
Best price - Amazon

SPRAY + BELT POUCH

Current price under £14
Best price - Amazon

BEST BUY

Current price under £20
Best price - Amazon

Why Do You Need To Carry
A Self Defence Spray?

thief looking in window legal pepperspray for the UK

In the UK statistics show that crime against adults [16 and over] has decreased. In fact crime in the UK is at an all time low and continues to fall.

From its peak in 1996 to 2013 it has steadily fallen each year.

So is everything OK then.?

Well, yes and no –

Yes, inasmuch as it’s good that the crime rates are falling and things are getting safer.

No, when you look at the actual figures and the amount of crime still reported.

farg gel defence spray with woman being stalked by a man

Latest figures and statistics from the government's own information website:

The Office of National Statistics, quotes that in the latest Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) there is an estimated 8.5 million incidents of crime against households and resident adults (aged 16 and over).

The study is for England and Wales during the year ending June 2013.

The good news is that this figure actually represents a 7% decrease compared with the previous year’s survey. But 8.5 million incidents..!!

attacker being sprayed with farb gel self defence spray

That's an awful lot if you ask me.

As a member of the public, I do not want to be one of those statistics, thank you very much…..

And again, as a UK Prepper, being prepared is what it’s all about and whenever I go out I always carry and EDC plus my survival keyring kit AND my Defence Spray – it just makes sense..

*  See My Personal Video Of The Alternative Pepper Spray In Action
uk preppers guide holding farb gel legal pepper spray alternative

Final Thoughts On This Self Defence Spray -

The spray has been designed to meet all UK legal requirements and is totally legal to carry here – any member of the public who has concerns about safety for themselves or their family should definitely consider purchasing and carrying one of these sprays.

I carry one, and so does all my family.

The good thing is the red coloured gel remains on the attacker for up to a week after, making them instantly recognizable as a potential threat again.

I like this Pepper Spray UK Alternative very much for the simple reason that it works – not only are they cheap and effective, they are also completely legal to carry.

You can buy the spray with a neat belt pouch for a couple of pounds extra – I found this very handy as it will clip onto a 2″ belt quite easily.

It can also be attached onto a ladies handbag where it is readily accessible if you need it – I then just bought the spray on its own as a backup.

Read This To Understand The Spray:
this defence spray will buy you a couple of precious seconds to make an escape.

It is not designed to maim or incapacitate an attacker to the point where they are rolling around on the ground, gasping for breath with their eyes burning out of their sockets - but when used it will disorientate and stop that attack for a few seconds minimum.

While the attacker is busy wiping the spray out of their eyes, you make your escape.
Even if that attacker is drunk, drugged up or high an adrenaline, they cannot attack you if they can't see you.

With a 4 metre spray range, you have the ability to keep a good distance from anyone as they approach you - if you feel threatened, and anticipate an attack, then you have the right to use this in order to make an escape.

Always be aware of your surroundings and the situation you are in
if you are clueless as to what's going on, you put yourself at even greater risk.

Important Information Worth Reading
red pepper spray image

If you are in a situation where you are forced to use your spray, then always do the following:

• Call the police immediately after the incident has happened, and report the fact that you have been attacked and detail the incident. Obtain a crime number if possible and ensure you do this as soon as possible.
  • Inform the police that you have sprayed them with a red identification spray to help find the culprit.
*  Buy Your Spray Here

Choose from the spray only, spray and pouch or add a twin pack below:

BASIC SPRAY

Current price under £11
Best price - Amazon

SPRAY + BELT POUCH

Current price under £14
Best price - Amazon

BEST BUY

Current price under £20
Best price - Amazon

An absolute  'must have' for preppers and the general public. All you need is a couple of seconds and you can avoid an attack.

I highly recommend this product and the fact that it leaves an attacker identifiable for days makes this even more useful.

Steve Hart  -  UK Preppers Guide

I have found out a couple of legal points regarding the Farb Gel Spray - please read before you buy:

•  This spray is only legal in UK mainland and wont be shipped outside of the UK mainland
  • There are some concerns as to whether it is legal to 'use' in Northern Ireland.- you can own the spray but you may  possibly be breaking the Northern Ireland laws if you actually use it .

Generally as an Alternative UK Legal Pepper Spray for self defence this product ticks all the boxes and is something to consider for all the family, especially as it is effective and easy to use.

But, the best of all, it works AND it's very cheap...

BE PREPARED - newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter and join the other 1,783 subscribers who receive regular prepping updates and survival tips.
We take your privacy seriously: No Spam.
See our Privacy Policy here.

• Enter Name & Valid Email Address
  • You will receive an Email titled 'Preppers Newsletter Subscription'
  • Simply confirm, and you've joined our community of preppers

Also see:  Other Non Lethal Self Defence Weapons

88 comments

1 ping

Skip to comment form

• Anthony Maldonado on November 10, 2017 at 9:01 am

Great job man! Very interesting article! From this article, I can get some useful tips that I didn’t know before. You made my day awesome, Thanks.

• Dan Davis on June 6, 2017 at 8:23 pm

The self defense laws in the UK are ridiculous and are far to strict. In the wake of the terror attacks as well over the past 3 months especially Saturdays in London maybe if we were allowed to carry items such as pepper spray for self defense not so many people would be killed in such a barbaric way.

• Jeanine on April 18, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Hello,
    Can this be purchased in stores? I want it for my daughter who will be traveling solo in UK soon (from USA).

Jeanine

1. Hi Jeanine,
      Its sold through Amazon here in the UK.
      please click here:
      UK Legal Spray

1. Make your own pepper spray very easy & cheap you can buy a filable small spray repellent finely grind the strongest dried chillies seeds add boiling hot ( surgical spirit ) stir, when cooled filter & it bottle it up in your mini spray bottle & if stoped by the Police it’s to put on your take away as you enjoy spicy food. Self defence I used it & as my attacker raised his fist to punch me I let him have my home made mixture the Police visited me & as it was self defence it was legal for me to spray my attacker with my take away spicy source mix. There is many loopholes in the uk just have your story ready for the Police but never admit the real reason your carrying your home made pepper spray. It’s amazing stuff even on chips as well as sprayed into eyes, as intended .

• Boo on March 24, 2017 at 2:07 pm

What if you are old or have a disability and can’t run away to a place of safety given a few seconds head start?

• RJordan on February 20, 2017 at 12:00 am

Buy and carry Wasp and Hornet spray. Sprays up to 22 feet or 7 m. Effectively blinds the attacker.

• Yog sothoth on January 23, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Quick question. I know guns that fire toxic chemicals are illegal but is it okay to get tear gas grenades and if so does anyone know a reliable way to legal do that? I wouldn’t walk around with them or anything but in a full on shtf situation they might provide a useful option for clearing a small space with the minimum risk of either side getting hurt. If they are illegal does anyone know another alternative that could either be thrown or pumped into a room through a tube that could safely incapacitate someone or force them out?

• Peter J Colman on January 14, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Nice site – but not 4 me!
    If I am attacked – I make sure I can do as much damage to my attacker as possible, I’m 65 and carry a knife and cs spray.

1. THEREFORE, you are the criminal, as you are breaking the law in the UK. If you injure the attacker, you may be charged as the assailant.

• Andy on November 19, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Think of the amount of legal items you can carry on your person that can be used in self defense, you may well be surprised.

• Syeda on November 11, 2016 at 8:33 am

I was mugged yesterday in broad daylight literally outside my home in a very quiet and upscale residential area of Ilford. All if my I’d and bank cards amongst other things gone along with my Gucci bag which was torn in the struggle. I feel so violated useless and angry and I have been told that in my self defence I cannot carry anything this is beyond crazy.

• Jeanine on April 18, 2017 at 7:59 pm

I am so sorry that happened to you. I’m American and see our right to defend as a women’s rights issue because we’re not as safe as men because we have more to worry about and are (usually) not as strong. I feel sorry for my cousins across the pond whose government keeps them so vulnerable to attack. I hope you’re feeling less vulnerable now.

1. The main point is that in the USA, you are many times more likely to be attacked than in the UK, because of people carrying guns and knives. I have walked the streets of the UK, unarmed, for most of my life (now 74), and have never been attacked. That is the perspective.

• Rikko on August 6, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Your perspective is just that Gordon – your perspective. I am 60 and have been attacked four times over the years walking the streets of the UK.

• Jules weakley on November 10, 2016 at 12:06 am

Aliens are people too! Just because they have green skin…… It’s not their fault! This is just ALIENIST!!!!! Just think how much the capsaisin would hurt their poor multiple eyes!………….. But seriously, many good comments.

2. Use of a high intensity strobe light could be useful in cases of sexual harassment as well as more serious potential sexual assaults.

Working on a new product to meet this requirement.

• Raymond Harwood on October 22, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Yes our laws on self defense are highly intelligent. The criminal can (and does) walk around with any kind of weapon he likes, as he has no respect for the law. On the other hand, the law abiding citizen is not allowed to carry any kind of weapon to defend themselves with.
    That is so cleaver, I wonder which Einstein was behind that !!!!

• Rob on February 22, 2017 at 1:36 pm

HI Raymond, the answer is simple: the army of Solicitors, Barristers, and all court parasites plus Police got the job if you are being assaulted. If you solve the problem yourself they are jobless 😉 believe me, they exactly know what they are doing, Raymond

• Jeanine on April 18, 2017 at 8:02 pm

I don’t think it’s worry about their jobs. In America, we have the right to defend ourselves and we still have police, etc. Not everyone uses the right and it’s not the wild west. We don’t take the law into our own hands, we just defend ourselves and our loved ones.

I think it’s because of those upstart colonists who had guns and decided they were tired of tyranny.

• Tony Blair on August 12, 2017 at 7:50 pm

No you don’t you moron, you have the right to self-defence that has been a corner stone of English common law for centuries.

” decided they were tired of tyranny.”

By keeping slavery 90 years after the UK you dumb bitch. Yes they were clearly “tired of tyranny”.

1. The criminal who walks the streets of the UK with a weapon is probably going to jail anyway. The statistics show that in the UK it is very probable you will never be attacked, so why do you need a weapon of your own? Most people who are found to have a weapon say it is to protect themselves from other weapon-carriers!

• Citizan Smith on October 13, 2016 at 11:10 am

I think I will invest in this product. My daughter is 14 and is becoming worried about this new “Killer Clown” scary mask twaddle. What goes through these peoples brains to want to put on a mask, wield a knife and scare children? I would imagine that this spray would find it’s way into the eyeholes of the mask. I am more concerned with the spate of bundling kids into cars or vans that is occuring more recently. I suppose it would be a bit over the top to suggest using a blow torch to the mask of a retarded, brain dead ‘killer clown’.

• MeToo on September 27, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Thank God I live in the U.S. and not in your pathetic country. Here we are free citizens and not “subjects”. I live in the state of Arizona and I am NEVER unarmed when out in public. And in my state one does not need a permit, aka: a govt permission slip to carry a firearm, openly or concealed. You brits deserve to be ruled by a horse faced family of in-bred “royals”…… you were detailed a long time ago. In a few decades you will all be facing Mecca, praying multiple times a day, and living under sharia law. And you begged for it.

• BournemouthBill on September 29, 2016 at 1:14 am

I’m English and proud but your comments are true, due to the gutless lefties in this country!

• David Murphy on October 1, 2016 at 11:45 pm

in 2015 there were 11,000 gun related homicides in the US and about 30-40 in the UK

• Jeanine on April 18, 2017 at 8:12 pm

I don’t think anyone deserves unjust rulers (I’m American). I do think you deserve the right to defend yourself.

Comparing homicides by type (gun/knife, etc.) is a pointless exercise. I could, if I wanted to kill someone, think of dozens of methods. I have access to guns but I probably would choose a different method that would have less chance of being forensically caught. It’s a good thing I have peace in my heart.

Comparing homicides to homicides would be a better measure. But to really get to the bottom of the causes, you’d have to compare access to mental health care because low emotional states and murder go hand-in-hand. Happy people aren’t killing friends or strangers. (For the research to support this see “Is Punishment Ethical?” by Jeanine Joy or “Evil: Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer” by Roy F. Baumeister.) You’d also have to evaluate poverty statistics because poverty plays a role in crime. If you really want to get to the bottom of it, you could look at the fact that both UK and US criminal justice systems were designed using economic theory; not psychology or sociology and re-design them with modern knowledge of behavior to prevent most crimes before they occur or are even ideas in the minds of future criminals.

• Richofisca on November 26, 2016 at 10:55 am

Like Bournemouthbill I am English and proud and agree fully with what you say, if I was younger I would leave this country to it’s fate and move to Canada.

• Hxnnxh on July 11, 2017 at 7:41 pm

… Your disrespect towards Muslims was uncalled for. Also, there isn’t really any country that has a government/Monarchy where you are 100% free; so you aren’t exactly ‘free citizens — I mean no disrespect, just wanted to point out a couple of things.