Best Medicinal Plants for Survival and when the sHTF
From the very first beginning man looked at nature to provide everything he needed for survival.
They considered plants to have a somewhat magical power, possessing healing powers and the ability to cure anything from aches and pains, to severe illness.
These medicinal plants became the mainstay of their survival.
But what are the best natural herbs and plants for medicine to ward off illness?
In a disaster or SHTF situation, mainstream, over the counter medication will not be available. Except, of course, if your a politician, member of the royal family or their cronies.
For the rest of us it will be go fend for yourselves.....
People will have to turn to more traditional, old fashioned methods and look to nature again.
Therefore people will to alternative ways to alleviate health issues: stocking up with books on herbal medication is a must.
Right off the bat I want to recommend two books to you. They are called Hedgerow Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies, by Julie Bruton-Seal, and the other is Dian Dincin Buchman’s Herbal Medicine: The Natural Way to Get Well and Stay Well
I have based parts of this article on Julie's and Dian's herbal remedies.
top 10 Natural herbal remedies
grow your own herbs
Natural Herbs And Plants For Medicine And Illness That You Should Be Storing
Chamomile – (Anthemis nobilis )
Cayenne Pepper – (Capsicum Minimum)
Cayenne pepper is traditionally known as powerful stimulant, it can produce a sense of warmth and heat within the stomach, and a general glow over the body without a inducing a narcotic or adverse effect.
A few grains placed in hot tea will help to calm a sluggish digestion and also flatulence.
If use in its ground up form [*finely ground]. It is also great to add to your first aid kit as an emergency means to stop bleeding.
It can be bought, already finely ground, from health shops or online via Amazon: [see details here - Cayenne Pepper] and is priced at around £5 for a large 500grm pack and I have found this is by far the best way to get it.
Dandelion – (Taraxacum officinale)
Echinacea – (Echinacea Paradoxa, Echinacea angustifolia, Echinacea pallida)
- There are three types of echinacea plants, and all have the same healing properties. The chemical constituents are different in some, but the healing is the same.
- Although the root is most widely used for it’s medicinal purposes, truly the entire plant can be used.
- This herb strengthens the body’s ability to resist infection and stimulates production of white blood cells. Echinacea stimulates the body in non chronic illness such as colds, bronchitis, sore throats, abscesses and for recurrences of yeast infections.
- Echinacea can also be taken as an anti-inflammatory for arthritis.
- A gargling solution can also be made with the tea to use with a sore throat. For cases that are not strep throat related: add 10-16 drops to water or to sage or ginger tea and use as a gargling agent. If a person is fighting strep throat: every two hours, gargle with the above mentioned teas to which add a drop-full of echinacea extract. If only tablet or capsules are available, take then every two hours during the acute stage.
- It also helps eliminates mucus and phlegm associated with certain respiratory conditions.
St. John’s Wort – (hypericum perforatum)
Peppermint – (Mentha piperita)
Thyme – (Thymus vulgaris)
Sage – (Salvia officinalis)
* The wonders of stinging nettles
These ten plants are able to ease many health conditions and ailments, they are also able to ease painful conditions where nothing else is available.
So when you are gearing up and buying your seeds for a survival garden, it is important that you don't forget to purchase medicinal herbs.
Health is vital in a SHTF situation and you must keep your body as strong as possible from viruses, colds and flu.
These organic healing medicines will help your overall long term survival and in an extreme emergency assist in saving their lives.
Steve Hart - UK Preppers Guide