Best Survival Knife Guide For Prepping And Survival
To be honest, just about any knife is a good knife in a survival situation – but some a far better than others –
As always, it’s better to be fully prepared and have a good knife that you’re familiar with handling and feels just right for you..
Without doubt choosing the best survival knife will come down to how much you really want to spend on one.
Some knife manufacturers charge upwards of £300 for a hand built knife that is guaranteed to last and be able to withstand all survival situations, but there’s precious few preppers who would spend that kind of money when their £300 could go on several other pieces of essential equipment.
I think you have to be a serious Bushcrafter to consider spending that amount of money on one knife, however you are getting something a bit special and quite unique.
They are a work of art, even the sheaths are superb..!
But, if you are really interested in bushcraft, and all the skills that are associated with it then a hand made, unique knife is often what you would choose - these beautiful knives above are made by master knife-smith, Ben Orford and range from around £250 up to £450
However, from a prepping and survival point of view - any knife is a good knife in a survival situation!
What's the secret of a good survival knife?
As any prepper will tell you - the survival knife is one of the most the essential tools in their survival kit, and as such, must be much more than just a ‘knife to cut things with’.
- A survival knife must be good enough, strong enough and sharp enough to manage all the basic survival tasks that include hunting, combat, cutting, chopping, bush-craft and much, much more.
- A good quality survival knife can easily be a life saver that enables you to accomplish all the basic requirements of survival outdoors.
- Your knife must be capable of enabling you to create a comfortable shelter and to start a fire, to hunt for and prepare your food, it must also be capable of clearing pathways and for digging, as well as giving personal protection if required.
- Choosing your knife will depend on several factors, some of these are more important than others, so I suggest a quick look at my guide to choosing a survival knife for more information and tips.
There are many choices of survival knives, that offer various qualities.
Currently, with the popularity of the Ray Mears bushcraft series on the TV it’s possible to see how a knife can be used effectively – Ray uses a Mora knife for most bushcraft work
Below is a guide to some good Prepper Survival knives
at reasonably affordable prices
All the survival knives that I have listed above are very good quality and will do the job well, so it just boils down to a matter of personal preference really.
– as always though – no prepper relies on just one survival knife…. – I can’t make this point enough, always carry at least two survival knives that suit you and work best for you.
As well as your main survival knife, it's advisable to carry a multi tool as well - they will get you out of a multitude of situations:
See: Best Swiss Army Knife Guide
These are a few of my personal collection of favourite knives - I have had two of these knives over 25 years!!
these particular ones, I use a lot...
Keep updated with all the latest prepping news and information
* Enter your name & a valid Email address
* You will receive an Email titled 'Preppers Newsletter Subscription'.
* Simply confirm to have access to our regular newsletter and also get your free PDF copy of: 'Beginning Prepping'
For more reviews on other survival knives, please see the selection below:
|Legal weapons UK||– what weapons are legal here in the UK|
|Weapons for self defence UK||– legal to own weapons and more|
|How to choose the Best survival Knife||– what you need to know about survival knives|
|Best Survival Knife Guide UK||– comparison guide for choosing a survival knife|
|Best Folding Pocket knife Guide||– reviews and comparison guide|
|Survival Knife Reviews|
Hopefully, this Best Survival Knife Guide has helped you in your choice for a survival knife that suits you and becomes an essential part of you survival kit.