May 14 2016

SPRAY + BELT POUCH

Current price under £14
Best price - Amazon

BEST BUY

Current price under £16
Best price - Amazon

When it comes to self defence and pepper spray, there are many question you can ask:

• Is pepper spray legal in the UK?
  • Is pepper spray a legal self defence weapon in the UK?
  • What is the pepper spray UK law?
  • Are you allowed to carry prepper spray in the UK?

This article will answer those questions and more:

UK laws regarding self defence are very strict, and for any normal member of the public this can be a problem – as a prepper it presents its own problems especially if SHTF.

uk legal pepper spray

The choice of weapons to defend yourself, your family and your preps is very limited and controlled by the strict UK laws governing offensive and dangerous weapons.

You cannot walk around with a 10″ machete strapped to your back, a handgun or any other weapon for that matter, even if you say it’s just for self defence.

This Article Deals With Non Lethal Self Defence Weapons

Generally speaking, a weapon is a weapon, as simple as that, if you carry one then the intention implies that you would be prepared to use one – resulting in varying injury levels or even death.

So when it comes to the question of preparing and defending yourself the choice of “weapon” is not so easy.

In the UK it is very much against the law to even hold and point a knife at some, would be looter, and even worse to actually use it.

Additionally, the crime rate in the UK remains a problem – theft, break-ins and mugging are still commonplace, especially in our cities.

So, when you add to that to the fact that we cannot legally carry a weapon to defend ourselves, we are constantly having to look for an alternative method of protection for ourselves, our children and the family.

Possibly the most effective, non lethal, weapon that would deter a would be looter is ‘the good old pepper spray‘ – the type the police and many other 'authorities' have with them.

unfortunately for us, the general public,
this is also classed as an offensive,
and therefor, an illegal weapon.

The UK law makers are genuinely between a rock and a hard place when it comes to weapons and the general public.
But surely we should have some rights when it comes to our own personal self defence...?
You simply cannot take everything away from the man or woman in the street.  But that's exactly what has happened folks..!
Of course, the criminals and law breakers don't abide to these laws now do they.!

Is It Legal
To Carry Pepper Spray In The UK?

The law is very specific,
and is laid out in Section 5(1) (b) of the firearms act 1968.

This act prohibits any weapon of any description, designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other substance.

In a nutshell the law is saying that full on pepper spray, the type the UK police use [ as seen in this photo ] that contains a noxious gas is one of those items that is considered illegal to carry and illegal to use in the UK by civilians and preppers alike.

uk pepper spray legal

So what are the alternatives to pepper spray for members of the public…?

The only LEGAL ALTERNATIVE that the public or UK preppers have at their disposal and is the equivalent to Pepper Spray in the UK for self defence is the:

Here's the specifications;

• Non Toxic & UK Legal
  • Can Be Carried By Any Adult
  • Discreet & Compact
  • Non Lethal Criminal Identifier
  • Contains No Harmfull Chemicals
  • 4 mtr Spray Range
  • Highly Effective - Giving Time To Escape
girl with can of legal pepper spray for the Uk

The Spray Container is very discreet and measures in at only 85 x 34 mm yet packs a punch that will stop a mugger in his tracks.

If sprayed at face level it will completely disorientated the attacker – with the natural instinct for him to back off – if sprayed at the eyes it also cause blurred vision, making an attack even more difficult.

With this sprayed into the eyes it is not possible to see what you are doing - wiping it off only makes it worse.

Having tested this on myself, I can assure you it was not possible to do anything other than try to protect myself and my face from the spray. (see video below)

UK legal pepper spray alternative video test picture

Also, the natural instinct is to try and wipe it off – this only makes thing worse.!

Can you imagine the panic factor you put into the attacker when he looks down at his blood red hands after you have sprayed him..!?

He will have no idea what has just happened and be more scared and ready to run off, than you !

pepper spray for the uk

This Farb Gel remains on the attackers skin and clothing for up to 7 days – making the police very aware if a potential attack has taken place.

Value for money, this is a ‘must have’ self defence method for preppers and everyone else, especially at the silly price of under £11 including VAT & delivery for the basic spray bottle.

BASIC SPRAY

Current price under £11
Best price - Amazon

SPRAY + BELT POUCH

Current price under £14
Best price - Amazon

BEST BUY

Current price under £16
Best price - Amazon

Why Do You Need To Carry
A Self Defence Spray?

thief looking in window legal pepperspray for the UK

In the UK statistics show that crime against adults [16 and over] has decreased. In fact crime in the UK is at an all time low and continues to fall.

From its peak in 1996 to 2013 it has steadily fallen each year.

So is everything OK then.?

Well, yes and no –

Yes, inasmuch as it’s good that the crime rates are falling and things are getting safer.

No, when you look at the actual figures and the amount of crime still reported.

farg gel defence spray with woman being stalked by a man

Latest figures and statistics from the government's own information website:

The Office of National Statistics, quotes that in the latest Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) there is an estimated 8.5 million incidents of crime against households and resident adults (aged 16 and over).

The study is for England and Wales during the year ending June 2013.

The good news is that this figure actually represents a 7% decrease compared with the previous year’s survey. But 8.5 million incidents..!!

attacker being sprayed with farb gel self defence spray

That's an awful lot if you ask me.

As a member of the public, I do not want to be one of those statistics, thank you very much…..

And again, as a UK Prepper, being prepared is what it’s all about and whenever I go out I always carry and EDC plus my survival keyring kit AND my Defence Spray – it just makes sense..

*  See My Personal Video Of The Pepper Spray In Action
uk preppers guide holding farb gel legal pepper spray alternative

Final Thoughts On This Self Defence Spray -

The spray has been designed to meet all UK legal requirements and is totally legal to carry here – any member of the public who has concerns about safety for themselves or their family should definitely consider purchasing and carrying one of these sprays.

I carry one, and so does all my family.

The good thing is the red coloured gel remains on the attacker for up to a week after, making them instantly recognizable as a potential threat again.

I like this Pepper Spray UK Alternative very much for the simple reason that it works – not only are they cheap and effective, they are also completely legal to carry.

You can buy the spray with a neat belt pouch for a couple of pounds extra – I found this very handy as it will clip onto a 2″ belt quite easily.

It can also be attached onto a ladies handbag where it is readily accessible if you need it – I then just bought the spray on its own as a backup.

Read This To Understand The Spray:
this defence spray will buy you a couple of precious seconds to make an escape.

It is not designed to maim or incapacitate an attacker to the point where they are rolling around on the ground, gasping for breath with their eyes burning out of their sockets - but when used it will disorientate and stop that attack for a few seconds minimum.

While the attacker is busy wiping the spray out of their eyes, you make your escape.
Even if that attacker is drunk, drugged up or high an adrenaline, they cannot attack you if they can't see you.

With a 4 metre spray range, you have the ability to keep a good distance from anyone as they approach you - if you feel threatened, and anticipate an attack, then you have the right to use this in order to make an escape.

Always be aware of your surroundings and the situation you are in
if you are clueless as to what's going on, you put yourself at even greater risk.

Important Information Worth Reading
red pepper spray image

If you are in a situation where you are forced to use your spray, then always do the following:

• Call the police immediately after the incident has happened, and report the fact that you have been attacked and detail the incident. Obtain a crime number if possible and ensure you do this as soon as possible.
*  Buy Your Spray Here

Choose from the spray only, spray and pouch or add a twin pack below:

BASIC SPRAY

Current price under £11
Best price - Amazon

SPRAY + BELT POUCH

Current price under £14
Best price - Amazon

BEST BUY

Current price under £16
Best price - Amazon

An absolute  'must have' for preppers and the general public. All you need is a couple of seconds and you can avoid an attack.

I highly recommend this product and the fact that it leaves an attacker identifiable for days makes this even more useful.

Happy Prepping Folks.

Steve

Steve Hart UK Preppers Guide
BE PREPARED - newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter and join the other 3,628 subscribers.

• Enter Name & Valid Email Address
  • You will receive an Email titled 'Preppers Newsletter Subscription'
  • Simply confirm, and you've joined our community of preppers

Also see:  Other Non Lethal Self Defence Weapons

I have found out a couple of legal points regarding the Farb Gel Spray – please read before you buy:

•  This spray is only legal in UK mainland and wont be shipped outside of the UK mainland
  • There are some concerns as to whether it is legal to ‘use’ in Northern Ireland.- you can own the spray but you may  possibly be breaking the Northern Ireland laws if you actually use it .

Generally as an Alternative UK Legal Pepper Spray for self defence this product ticks all the boxes and is something to consider for all the family, especially as it is effective and easy to use.

But, the best of all, it works AND it’s very cheap…

72 comments

1 ping

Skip to comment form

• ETW on September 13, 2016 at 11:46 am

Does the farb gel spray have an expiry date? I assume if its left unused the propellent gas will eventually lose pressure.

• kay on September 8, 2016 at 11:12 am

I had my pepper spray (bought in Germany where it us legal) taken off me at security at the Eurostar in Brussels.
    Would I be allowed to travel with The Farb Gel Spray You recommended?

• Nicole on July 23, 2016 at 3:52 am

Hi,
    I’m a lady from America who will be traveling to the UK in a few months. I really would like to carry whatever I can to protect myself like a knife and maybe this spray? Can I buy it in a store? I’m so used to being able to buy all the weapons I want at a gun store so I don’t know where to buy this stuff in London. Any help would be appreciated. Also I’ll be in Scotland and Ireland too (Dublin) traveling by air so if you’re familiar with laws? I can out all this in checked luggage? I’m really sorry you guys can’t carry actual guns, that’s too bad.

• rastus on July 30, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Stay away from city centres and late night bars and clubs ,England and Scotland are just as bad as some of your places ,The colour of the skin and the locals dress gives you a Big clue , Avoid the areas where the Sun seems to be stronger and they all have beards and the women wear scarves round their faces . Enjoy your stay and keep safe , remember your mobile phone shows up a long way off and they like stealing them .

1. Very good advice there Rastus.
        Thank you for your comment.

Steve
        UK Preppers Guide

• Lacy on September 3, 2016 at 4:26 am

Really? Do you not see how racist and fascist that comment is. The person is basically saying, stay away from black, tanned and muslim. I can’t believe you’ve just commended him on that comment. I’ve lost all respect for your blog.

• pc plod on September 3, 2016 at 9:08 am

THe comment made by Ratus to Nicoles question is perfectly acceptable and quite true.

I can only assume you are one of the weaker, limp wristed types who is a ffraid to say, what is actually the truth…

Rastus is mearly pointing out the general requirements of being aware in a specific way related to avoiding specific areas.
            Situation awaremess and especially areas to avoid are paramount to keeping safe anywhere, let alone in the UK.

There are no go areas in the UK – stay away from them.

Like it or not, and for what ever reason, these areas are dangerous because of the type of person in them – feel free to play the race card, which you have, but get real and see it for what it is.
            Areas dominated by one group or type of pewople who do not take kindly to an outsider, for whatever reason are not safe for strangers and should be avoided.

When I have been to abroad, I have made a point of finding out the ‘bad’ areas – they are not always black or full of religious extreamists – as the type of person does not bother me – its the amount of danger they represent.

So please, think things through first – this is a preppers website, for people who want to survive, and the comments above are perfectly correct and in context with being safe.

Nuff said…..

• Dan on September 3, 2016 at 9:21 am

What an idiot.
            So your going to just waltz on in to an area overrun by religious extremists and feel quite happy that you’ll get out without something happening.
            These comments have nothing to do with being a racist – its plain common sense.

Your way of thinking is what gets people into trouble.
            Just plain stupid.

There are dangerous areas with dangerous people and I you have the guts to say it – most are predominately based on ethnic and religious genders.

THis blog is very fair in the way it allows all comments, even the ones like yours.

But with your way of thinking that everybody is all lovely and kind and wonderful and you mustn’t say bad things about them…., I don’t think you’d last five minutes as you seem to be quite happy putting yourself in a dangerous situation..

Good luck mate, but get real first eh.

• manny on September 15, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Hi i am offended by the xenophobia here, what ugliness. You are more likely to get attacked by drunks.. and in any area by gangs of yobs and criminals…colour and background is irrelevant…but most of the time you should be fine as long as you don’t roam around alone at night and take reasonable precautions..

• Citizan Smith on October 13, 2016 at 10:46 am

Don’t get offended by a few comments that are not xenophobic but merely facts. Your statement “You are more likely to get attacked by drunks” is not a fact. A drunk yob (white say) will fight without reason, once INTERACTED with. A troop of black youths WILL seek out lone whites and attack without provokation. This is a fact to a certain degree, as I personally know of four such unprovoked attacks, myself included. There are areas everywhere that should be avoided and most of these areas seem to contain coloureds. To name a few, St.Anns, Brixton, Highfields, Chelmsly Woods. We have also got the Eastern Europeans to worry about now. I am NOT a racist, nor xenophbic, I am a realist and an English survivor. I, for one would like to see it completely legal to carry both propper pepper spray and tazers in this country, for legal use ONLY in self defense. After all, they are both non-lethal, what’s wrong with hurting an attacker before they get the chance to hurt or even kill you. I would protect myself and my family before I had any thought towards the well being of an attacker, whatever their colour, race or religious beliefs.

• Hxnnxh on July 11, 2017 at 7:54 pm

People need to stop putting all Muslims under one umbrella. Not all of us are the same. I came to this site because I felt like I couldn’t be safe in my country anymore -UK- due to racism and generalisation. I have my religion, you have yours -or don’t have one at all- and that’s fine… just don’t pass judgement on me and my people without having met us, thanks.
        If all 1.6 billion Muslims were angry, aggressive, dangerous killers/haters… don’t you think life would be V E R Y different for us all….

(Now please, no disrespect towards the Muslims that have not done anything to you. If you want to talk about so-called ‘Muslims’ that are causing harm to you/people… be more specific/reference them with names etc and don’t put all Muslims under the same category…)< That is just a polite request please, in order to bring more awareness to this issue. Thanks again.

• Khan on October 7, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Stop talking out off ur Ass you racist bitch go get a life scum bags Ass

• Jeanine on April 18, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Nicole,

If you’re still getting updates from this site I’d love to hear how you found your trip (safety wise).

My daughter, 26, is leaving for a similar trip next week for a few months. She will be in UK, Scotland, Wales, Ireland.

I’m on here looking for ways to protect herself. She is traveling solo. Her pepper spray and taser are not legal there.

Thanks,
      Jeanine

• Chip on June 8, 2016 at 7:38 pm

The 100% point of a pepper spray is to incapacitate the attacker so you can get away, no other reason to use it.

The paint is a nice extra for identification but it is not why you spray an attacker in the face. It seems you are just focusing on the red paint identification benefit which does not seem to incapacitate the attacker. And it seems you legally can’t make a product in the UK that hurt an attacker. This means I question whether in a real life situation, other than be messy does it really do anything to get you out of the attack. I watched the video and the fella just stood there. I don’t think the red spray would be enough to stop an attack. You might be able to identify the attacker after he as killed the person, but it would not stop the attack.

• tails miles prower on June 7, 2016 at 4:06 am

Seem useful when I get in police to be a pcso I can legally carry this. Since pcso don’t have teasers or bats or pepper sprays! And will help track the crook down 10x faster!

1. Self defense has become a basic need these days…

We all read news papers, watch television and see so much crime around us that we need to be extra alert…

We can’t just simply rely on cops or 911, we must do efforts to protect ourselves…

I liked your post because of this reason only, you have mentioned that there is huge difference between, protecting ourselves and killing somebody.

One can defend themselves with various means without taking law in their own hands.

Self defense shouldn’t mean to take law in our own hands… I recently bought a tactical flashlight and a pepper spray and trust me the products are really good.

You have actually insprired me to be bold enough and face the situations.

Thanks for this awesome share!!

• Ola on May 30, 2016 at 1:16 am

This country is crazy ! If someone is capable to atact other person to do a rubber or rape deserve to be treated with a pepper spray!

• Vi on May 24, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Hello,

We can see how this spray is visible on white skin, how about black skin?…
    I am not racist, don’t get me wrong, I am just curious

Thanks

V

1. Hi V,
      Any skin I would think…
      Black, white, yellow… Hell, It would even show up on an alien..!
      It is very distinct bright red and I suppose on white skin it will show stronger.
      But it also gets onto your hands and clothes as well, and if you look at the start of the video, I had already washed my hands a dozen times and they were still red.
      A black skinned person has quite light shaded hand palms so it would be much more visible there as well.
      If I ever have a volunteer with dark skin I’ll do another test video…!

all the best
      Steve

• TankManTank on May 14, 2016 at 9:16 am

Learn KravMaga.

nuff said!

1. Couldn’t agree more.

Krav Maga is one of the very best forms of self defence for anyone.
      Simple, effective and easy to learn the basics.

see my Krav Maga article and find out why I think its the best self defence martial art:

Learn Krav Maga

But, as with everything, keep aware of your surroundings and the people around you.
      Do they look dodgy? If you suspect anything – take action and remove yourself form that potential situation.

all the best
      steve

• Alyy on May 14, 2016 at 9:14 am

Hi,
    What about perfume sprayed in the eyes?
    Or just regular paint?

Why does it have to be ‘special’ spray?

• Fango on May 14, 2016 at 9:32 am

Hi Alyy,

No way. This stuff is far superior than anything like perfume or paint!

Perfume would be no good until you are right up close.
      Spray paint has a distance of a meter before it fixzzles out.

If your prepared to get up close and personal with an attacker, then maybe they will help, but no comparison to this stuff.

I bought a few cans for my family and my kids insisted we try it out… on me, poor old dad!

From over 4 meters it was VERY accurate and powerful – in fact I was surprised at the force it hit my face.
      And it doesnt wash off for several days either.

i was known as the Jolly Red Giant from then on!!

• Dango on May 14, 2016 at 8:00 am

Surely this is just paint..???
    I’m not sure if it would stop a mugger either.

And if someones attacking me – I’m going to get covered to!!!

1. Hi Dango,

It’s a bit more than just paint.

It fires a precise spray over 4 metres.
      It’s more like a thick gel spray.
      It’s quite oily and sticks to anything.
      Slight stinging to the eyes

It leaves the attacker or criminal marked for the police to identity – as the spray will stain the skin for at least a week.

More importantly – it gives you those vital seconds to make an escape and run a away.

You not trying to hurt them or injury them – just get away for the situation and this method will work if you have a little bit of situation awareness and pay attention to your surroundings.

all the best
      steve

• Danger Man on May 14, 2016 at 9:00 am

Agree with you there UK Preppers Guide.

It’s all about situation awareness.

Don’t put yourself in a position of danger in the first place – simples.

And if you are aware and you perceive a danger to you, then you are ready to deal with that situation by using the spray BEFORE the attack starts, thus allowing time to escape.

To many people wander aimlessly around without a clue who ro what is going on around them – zombies.. 🙂

1. Hi Danger Man,

Completely agree with you there.

Situation awareness is a vital key in self defence.
        I touch on this in an old article about personal alarms here:

Personal Attack Alarms

Always be aware of whats happening around you – AND BE PREPARED…..

All the best
        Steve

• danger man on May 14, 2016 at 7:36 am

I am presuming that this spray is not designed to actually incapacitate or stop an attacker full on as would real pepper spray?
    I can see the benifits if used at the right time to give you a quick method of escape.
    Of course being aware of an inpending attack is all down to your own 6th sense or you awaremness of a danger.

My advise – STOP WALKING AROUND WITH YOUR NOSE BURIED IN YOUR MOBILE PHONES FOLKS..!

Wake up and look around you.

• Posh Prepper on May 14, 2016 at 6:55 am

Good article. It makes sense to carry something, anything really that can help you warn off an attacker.
    Scream alarm or spray, anything.
    Ive heard its better to yell ‘fire or rape’ rather than help..!!
    Using this spray would definitely give you a second to escape away from danger AND you’re not going to kill anyone in the process!

• Graham Of Essex on May 14, 2016 at 6:39 am

Hi, good article,
    As a pure defensive method this is very good.

You are not trying to kill someone here, purely incapacitate them for a second or two.
    Those vital seconds are enough to run away from the danger.

I always try to be aware of whats going on around me at all times.
    Being aware is your first line of defence.

Just dont put yourself in a position of danger if you can avoid it.

1. […] Pepper Spray is illegal here. My friend Rachel actually informed me of this, which I thought was a little crazy but it’s probably a good thing. (Yes, a Texas girl did just say that. She’ll also say GUNS ARE BAD! Please don’t make it legal to carry them anywhere. k thanks. getting distracted) So there’s this thing I’ve been meaning to buy called Preppers. My lovely finace informed me of it. It’s still a spray, but instead of stinging the victim it just blasts them with bright red ink- and boy is it hard to get off. Sounds good to me. Want to read about it and watch a fun movie? HERE! […]