UK Prepping Blog

The Start Of The New UK Prepping Blog

uk prepping blog

The UK Preppers Guide website has been running for over two years now and I thought it was about time to add a regular UK Prepping Blog.

This is something I have been planning to do for a while now, but never had the time.

I also deliberately turned off comments to the main UK Preppers Guide website - you are able to freely comment here on this prepping blog

From previous experience there are just too many spammers out there and I wanted real people and real preppers to join in. Not someone selling perfume or trying to promote their website that had nothing to do with prepping.

For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Steve Hart and I've been a prepper for as long as I can remember.

In fact, I was prepping way back in ‘the old days’ before the word ‘prepper’ was even heard of.

Mind you, everyone was a prepper then…

By that I mean everyone knew how to make ends meet by stocking up and by having the basic skills like actually being able to cook a basic meal from scratch.

man with air rifle

They knew about real food and how to make it last. They never wasted any food, and what wasn't eaten would be recycled and made into a meal for the next day.

microwave junk meal

Nowadays people just click a few buttons on their iPhone and zap – within 20 minutes there’s a box a ready made food delivered to their door.

But then sometimes they will get really daring and actually buy a box of food that they can “cook” themselves – buy “cook”, I mean open the packet and shove in the microwave and nuke it for two minutes.

Giving them a lovely meal containing just about every ‘E’ number and preservative known to man.

Sad really. We have lost the basic skill of even being able to feed ourselves without resorting to technology.

Over many years I have been quietly beavering away prepping.

For what? Well I don't really know to be honest.

But one thing I do know is that we have a dam site better chance of surviving if we are prepared. I have precious little faith in the government being able to provide shelter, food and a safe environment for me and my family if the SHTF.

So that’s why I prep. Not to be trendy (which apparently it is now), but because I want to be the one calling the shots. The one who can provide for myself and my family.

Over the years I have purposely learnt the essential bushcraft skills to help survival in a full on disaster. I can say with confidence that I have a pretty fair chance of making it through the rough times.

The chances of that happening are quite remote though aren't they?

Or are they?

Hopefully I will never see a world wide catastrophe during my lifetime, and that’s a good thing. But along the way prepping has been great fun to say the least. I have met some fantastic people involved with the prepping and bushcraft community.

And some nutters…..!

Please feel free to follow me on this blog and please comment if you think I’m right or wrong. Or maybe just to say hello.

Happy Prepping Folks..

Steve

Latest Blog Post Articles:

Full  Blog  Monthly  Menu  Articles

36 comments

Skip to comment form

• John D on June 20, 2015 at 5:59 pm

I’ve just been reading your piece about Farb Gel defence sprays, which is promoted as being legal for possesion and use in the UK. It looks a very good product. I’ve seen it advertised elsewhere, and would certainly consider getting it for myself and family. As it contains no noxious gas, I would certainly not class it as an offensive weapon. However, despite being billed as legal, I see no reference police or a UK lawyer confirming this. Do you know of any official information that authorises it’s use? I ask this because UK weapons law is very restrictive and can be applied in a subjective fashion. John
    (This is the product http://www.ukpreppersguide.co.uk/legal-pepper-spray-for-the-uk)

1. Hi John,

You are spot on – UK law is very much subjective with some huge grey areas that make the laws on weapons hard to decipher.
      Legal carry of a folding knife being one of the most ‘amusing’ to say the least!

This spray however, is not marketed as a weapon, as such, which puts it very much out of the scope of the UK law to a high degree.

Its considered as a defence spray for the purpose of criminal identification.

This is the most direct piece of law I have on it:

Section 5(1)(b) of the firearms Act 1968 prohibits any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid or gas. Because a criminal identifier spray does not contain any substances and the can itself is not designed to discharge a noxious substance, it is not prohibited by the Firearms Act.

I have also discuss this with my local police who agree, so long as you do not go around spraying people and actually using it as a weapon, but simply carry it as a means of ‘helping’ the police identify an attacker, they would be fine with it.
      In fact, the police I have spoken to, openly agree it would help them in the case of an attack.

But I do still thoroughly agree with you – trying to get any confirmation on UK weapons law can be a real pain.

Steve – UKpreppersGuide

• steve on November 6, 2015 at 11:20 pm

bleach in a washing up bottle good for self defense

• matt R on May 23, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Dear ???

Thank you for a very good review of our apparently UK legal folding pocket knife article.

We have had a customer that says his local police station says its NOT.. we are not sure why but they have measured it from the point to further back down the handle which of course would make it longer by 1/4”, since the handle is almost ‘open plan’ with one side longer than the other, but measured as we thought .,it is defiantly under 3”
    We are under the impression that all blade measurements are taken from the tip of the blade to the outermost point of the handle.
    Can anyone please give a definitive..?

please let us know at [email protected]

Thanks in anticipation

• Rikie on April 4, 2015 at 11:42 am

Hello

Do Ukpreppers have a contact email? I have a stove project I would like to introduce to you, without hijacking.

Thanks.

R

• Noodles on March 27, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Just signed for your newsletter, came across your site after catching a YouTube vid from wildsoul62 🙂 and thought I’d say hello!
    It would appear that I’ve become a prepper without realising, I seem to have accumulated a mass of equipment and gear of the years, well, just in case. Nice to know other people do the same 🙂

1. Hi Noodles,
      I think that’s the classic way most people start prepping…!
      Welcome aboard..

UK Preppers Guide

• EK on March 12, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Hi, I was looking through all the defence spray and could not find one that has a keychain/keyring on it. Is there any other option or advice you could possibly give ?

1. Hi EK,
      I haven’t come across any UK legal sprays that are fitted with a keychain.
      The nearest I can suggest is to use the small pouch that fits the spray perfectly.
      It will fit on your belt and could be adapted for a chain I would think.

Here’s an example of the Spray With Pouch {bottom of article].

Happy Prepping….

• Ollie on March 4, 2015 at 8:51 am

Hi, Im a photographer and very interested in the apocalypse and the life of preppers. I’m lookng for preppers who would be interested in having a portrait taken in their bunker if they have one or any location or surrounding suitable. If you would be interested or know anyone that would be, please let me know.
    Ollie

• K on February 9, 2015 at 10:35 pm

p.s. I was just being funny! It is a really good website 🙂 Just felt the need to big it up for the girl power, haha! The defence spray does look good for self defence in general day to day life. I was looking for a “safe” gun, i.e one that would act as a deterrent, like a BB gun. I hadn’t even considered a paintball gun – first I guess I’d need to figure out how to use one! 🙂

But what I was looking for – was those survival courses. I’ve heard they do “urban” survival courses. Have you been on any? And could you recommend some?

Thank you!

1. Hi K,
      Thanks for your comments, you had me a bit worried there for a bit..!!
      Survival courses are springing up all over the place now.
      Have a quick look at my COURSES PAGE here.

Also checkout these BUSHCRAFT SHOWS, they are very good things to go to. You will learn loads and everyone is really friendly.

Happy Prepping……

• K on February 9, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Ok great website and everything. I’ve been looking into this topic and thinking about getting prepared……and ok, I’m a city girl, work in an office, I’m tall but I’m slim…..in terms of defence, I’ve not really got what’s going when it comes to physical strength…..so you very kindly offer me defence spray?? Are you kidding me?? 😮 So according to your website – men here can get the self defence weapons but women….you fire up the hairspray ladies. Seriously? Are we in 2015?????? I want you to change it – literally, just want to take down “women” – please……. Take it down. Defence spray – fine. Paintball guns – fine – but defence spray WOMEN. You do know that women are in the army now, don’t you? And could be in combat roles by 2016? I’m not even a feminist, I’m a girly girl – but this offends me. I’m gonna go listen to Cheryl Cole and play with my barbies, while all hell breaks loose in the world, you’ll find us, you know, the “reproducing sex” that can ensure the survival of man kind and have been repopulating the world since the dawn of time, all braiding our hair and chatting about our diets whilst combatting all intruders with our lethal “defence spray”. Cheers mate….jeez my brother who was 12 years older than me, once sparked me flat out when I was 5 years old teaching me to box with a giant life size bugs bunny – know what he said when I came round?? Get up. This was in the 80s – you need to move with the times…..man alive, cos I know if the SHTF my brothers would want me armed up dude and not with a can of “lethal hairspray”. ;-p

• Cavemanjoe on February 6, 2015 at 4:19 am

Looks like you are all well prepared in UK, but I would not like to be in Europe, UK, USA anymore, to many people and big cities where the hungry will start coming out the second day? I have lived in a number of places in the world and finally decided to Bug-out permanently? So now we live on a tropical Island in SE Asia (no heating needed), bought a 12Ha mountain property and with a generator and a jackhammer dug out a large Cave Home apartment, 8 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean and 1500 Ft high, that should cover most event when SHTF? We have fresh springwater all year around, rural location with organic gardening and small animals for meat source, guns and visa’s no problem and building permits don’t apply in the mountains. safe and easy defendable and kids go to local schools until things get hairy in witch case we go over to home schooling. We are looking to maybe start a commune here with people with different skills?
    good luck to you all, Caveman Joe

• Fenland Prepper on February 5, 2015 at 11:40 am

As a prepper I have a little advice to anyone coming into this from new. You read lots of blogs and articles and they will heavily impress on you the food and water side of things to the extent that you can become single minded.

But do not forget all the other equally important things!

Its no good having years worth of food and water if you do not look after the other essentials.
    Health.
    Cooking.
    Lighting.
    Opsec (operational security)

Health
    You need good supplies of soap, deoderant, toothpaste, washing powder etc. All the things you usually use. Cleanliness is next to godliness so they say, it also helps to keep you clean of infection and toothache etc. You can buy fish antibiotics from the internet, they are the same as the ones we take just re packed for animal use. You can find which ones to use for what on the net.
    If you can go on a first aid course. Both myself and my wife have been first aid trained over the years.

Cooking.
    Yeah ok you have a stack of food, how do you cook it when the power goes off and the gas does not work.? I have built a couple small wood burning stoves made from large cans that work well, used them wild camping. I have a small meths camp stove that works well and enough spirit to use it for about 2 months. On top of that a large gas barbecue and two big gas bottles. Hot food is important and so is the ability to boil water both for drinks and sterilising the water. I also keep a stack of dry split logs.

Lighting.
    First get use to walking your house and gardens etc in the dark. If the lights go off in the night you don’t want to be walking in to things.
    Batteries, stock up on batteries for torches, try to keep a torch in each room or at least on each floor and practice getting to them in the dark. You don’t want to start off being injured.
    Candles, stock up on candles, tea lights are great you can buy a hundred at a time for a few pounds.
    If you can see about setting up a light powered from a solar powered battery system, there are kits on the net.

Finally Opsec.
    Be careful who you tell you are prepping. When the SHTF the last thing you want is hungry people beating down your door and taking the lot. Believe me they will if they know.
    Walk your property in the day and at night, see where the blind spots are where people can approach and not be seen. See how secure your gardens are and if you can improve them. taller fences, drive gates, railings etc. If you have sheds keep them locked. If it becomes a long term incident your tools will become valuable.
    Keep your preps out of sight in the house, so when your “friends and neighbours” come round there is nothing to see.
    See if you can build up a few like minded people close to you, if you can get a small group of preppers going you have a better chance of surviving. See what they think about the shows on tv, get them to view their opinion. If they outright say they are all nutters then change the subject. They might say some of them are extreme but the idea of having some extra stuff in the house for emergencies is ok, then you can expand the subject.
    Finally don’t make it obvious that you are eating and drinking well if it all goes to s**t and others are starving.
    I am lucky, both my wife, both daughters and their partners are in and they are also prepping.
    In case you wondered we are not bugging out, I can protect us easier here and our preps are here.
    Feel free to comment or ask a question.

• Fenland Prepper on February 4, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Ok not a lot of activity so far so lets see.

Why do I prep? I could go on about economic disaster, solar flares, nuclear war, ISIS, ebola the list just goes on and on. Sometimes you just need to look at your local environment and see what happens.
    We live in a small town on the edge of the Fens, and in the ten years we have been here, we have:

Had no water for two instances, once for almost a day and a half.
    Had a couple of power cuts.
    Had floods nearly every year that seem to get worse each time, they close one road in and out of town and start to risk the others.

Prepping does not have to mean that you are building a bunker or a stupid great castle in the woods, its a way of life that we have left behind. Its just too easy to go to a supermarket 24 hours a day and get food, but supermarkets hold a little over 24 hours worth of food, so if those lorries stopped arriving they would empty really fast, even more so when panic buying settled in. loss of electrical power would also mean no water, something most people don’t realise is that for most of us the water is pumped to our homes.
    You can last three days without water.
    Three weeks without food.
    Its the rule of threes. Its not hard a fast but it is a good guideline.

Personally I think the biggest threat to people in the UK is something like an air borne virus with a high mortality rate. The reason for this is that as it hits the population and infection occurs a few things will happen. the hospitals will rapidly become overloaded, followed by the other emergency services. One reason for this is that they will be at the front of dealing with the affected and so will be at a higher risk of infection. Once the emergency services are no longer able to deal with the problem the military will step in.
    At this point we will see companies cease to function properly as people either stay at home or get sick.
    As it increases we will find it harder to deal with the large number of dead bodies. Supplies at supermarkets will start to decline as will fuel deliveries at petrol stations.
    Then people will start to die in their homes and not be found.

Yes it is a bleak picture but look at what Ebola has done in Africa and it is not easy to catch, imagine it airborne like flu.

So we prep for the local problems and take into our preps what we would need for other scenarios. We have 2300 litres of water on hand and the means to sterilise it and collect more. Inside we have 100 litres of drinking water bottled. We have food for three months.
    We have 5 raised beds and grow staple foods each year, potatoes, beans, onions plus some fruit and a plum tree.
    We started jam making last year and have always done pickling, beetroot, onions, red cabbage cauliflower and picalilli. We have also started dehydrating to see if we can add extra real food to our preps. We have gone wild camping away from toilets and showers, cooking over a real fire and sterilising water just to increase our survival training.
    We have disposable suits, hospital grade masks, gloves and hospital grade hand cleaner.

Do I think I am mad? No. Do other people? I don’t know, we practice good opsec so we don’t tell people what we do.
    People prep for different reasons. We prep for water supply failure and being cut off, after that its general with a lean towards a Sars / avian flue type outbreak.
    Comments please! Don’t ask about weapons as that can be a touchy subject in the UK.

• RunAwayDave on February 4, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Now here’s a man with a good, common sense attitude to prepping.
      Probably more sane than most of the population!

Agree with everything you say, especially the air borne attack scenario. Might add to that economic collapse as being one of my high up killers as well.

yeah, weapons is a touchy subject.. sshhhhhhh… !

• Fenland Prepper on February 5, 2015 at 11:51 am

RunAwayDave

yes I regard an economic collapse as a high possibility, I am also concerned about the slow escalation of events in Ukraine, especially now that Nato is looking to bolster its forces in eastern block countries and the USA is looking at adding arms to Ukraine. Couple that with Russia’s attitude and it’s recent fly bys just outside our air space.

Ebola has just had an increase in cases when they thought it was coming under control and they have finally admitted it is mutating.

As for the currency, all currencies these days are fiat, there is no longer any gold or other valuables to back them up, they are just numbers on paper, in a full collapse all money will be worthless. If you can, stack gold and silver, for preppers I think silver is better, it is easier to buy and could be used as currency.
        Happy prepping.

1. What do you suggest for people who have only a cricket bat or other household items for self-defence?

1. Have a look at these articles – might help….

Self Defence weapons UK

Legal Weapons UK

• Danny F-P on January 25, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Hey fellow peppers!!

I am curious to know how seriously people are taking their prepping and if they have bunkers etc? If so how far away from your homes are they and what roughly how much have they cost you?

If not are you planning a bunker and how much do you think you will spend on one?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Danny

• JimJams on November 16, 2015 at 7:22 am

I don’t know any UK preppers that have bunkers..?!
      Ihave a couple of potential good bug out locations. Other than that Im staying put.
      There must be some people who have them though?

JImJams

• James on November 5, 2014 at 11:49 am

Looks like this blog could get quite interesting…!

• Goof Ball on November 2, 2014 at 11:50 am

Looking forward to this blog getting going.